Thursday, July 8, 2010

Thanks to the help of my brother Chad, I've acquired a few old manual lenses. Most of them belonged to my Dad -but a couple have been hunted down on ebay etc. It has been more enjoyable then I expected to try to figure out how to use a lens that does not auto focus. As some of these pictures prove, I have not yet figured out how to tell just when a picture is in focus - but one day I will be able to. Maybe.



If anything these extra lenses have helped open my eyes to all the difference a lens really does make. Below are three pictures that I took of the temple with 3 different lenses of mine.


The most difficult yet enjoyable lens for me is the Tamaron 500mm. It's range is ridiculously far. (We've even used it in Waterton to spot and identify wildlife across the lake!) This particular picture was taken south of town. The downside to this lens -is that I have yet to take the time to set it up on a tripod. I'm pretty sure that would eliminate the "blur" issue. I'm just lazy.
I do love how this lens amplified the windmills in the background. Everybody who sees this comments that they never even knew that there were windmills back there.


This was taken with a 28mm that Chad loaned me (that he may or may not ever get back) It has become perhaps my favorite lens for everyday carrying around. It's easy to focus with and I enjoy the color that it produces.




This was taken with a new 135mm that I've only recently begun playing with. (Thanks again Chad) The thing I love about this camera is that it still does zoom in quite a bit - yet is much much easier to focus with. I understand how to adjust the aperture on this as well-so that makes it easier. This may become my favorite Waterton lens for sure!

No comments: