Friday, April 23, 2010

Early Spring in Waterton

We've had a LOT of sunny days lately.     This morning though, we woke up to overcast skies and a bit of rain.      For some reason this made me want to go to Waterton.     I love a rainy day in Waterton.     It should have occurred to me however, that the rain would turn to snow the closer I got to the mountains.

Still the temp was nice, and the snow provided a pretty backdrop for these Elk.


I really think a cooler day brings out the wildlife!



Oh Hello little Elk.
Thank you for not running away from me, like all of your friends did.



I could have stared at these animals all morning.

 They were equally content to stare at me too. 



 The only thing that interupted the quiet of the moment was the faint distant sound of my son tormenting his sister in the back of the van.     Time to move on.


Note to self:  Kids do not know how to appreciate a quiet moment. 




Color is starting to appear in Waterton.

 I'm sure that in the next few weeks it will be an entirely different scene.





I made it my goal today to focus on "Reflection."      There was not a bit of breeze, and the water was like glass.  That is so rare for this area, I figured it might be my only chance to practice getting some nice reflection shots.




You can't see it very well in this photo but there is a small black bird perched on a stalk of grass.  
I tried using a Bird Book,  that John recently bought, to identify it.  My guess is that it is either an American Redstart, or a Red Winged Blackbird.  



Another sure sign that spring is here:  Cameron falls is rushing furiously! 

Everything is melting higher up and I'm excited to get to finally access some of our favorite places again.



 

No comments: